To the south of Berwick (3miles) lies the village of Scremerston and can be accessed by
following the A1 south or following the cliff tops.The lands historically were held by the
Radcliffe family, Earls of Derwentwater, but when James the last earl was
tainted in 1716 the lands were granted to the Commissioners of Greenwich
Hospital. At the end of the nineteenth century the sole landowners are given as
the Lords of the Admiralty.