of St Andrew’s is within bow shot from
and was built in 882. The foundations of a stone church have been
traced under the present church floor. The Bothal Castle Anglo-Saxon
Church was replaced by a Norman Church
during the late 12thC by Richard Bertram, a , who married the Anglo-Saxon heiress
and in 1161 began to reside in Bothal.
It was his son, Robert, who was the first of the family to be called
‘Baron of Bothal’ and was given the title by King Richard 1 in 1199. Norman